This weekend we attended this big fancy gala, which gave me an excuse to get dressed up,
and celebrate my brother. Chandler is a senior in high school, and was awarded as a
National Scholar Athlete from some big name football charity hoo-dad that I forget the name of.
But that's not important.
Not to brag on him (so sue me if I do... he deserves it) but my brother is a star
quarterback, is in the top 10% of his class, has a full ride to college next year, etc, etc.
(He put me to shame. Dang it)
My parents sent him to an inner city high school instead of the one that my sister and I went to,
and it completely changed my family forever. But that's a different story...
As he stood on stage, I was so proud of him. It was a complete big sister moment.
On paper my brother looks great. He's accomplished a ton of things, and over 2,000 people
Saturday night read about all of it. They saw him up there, and saw the surface of what he's accomplished.
But that's not why I was proud. I was proud because of all of the things that I've seen him
do to get there. I was proud because of the work that he's put into becoming a great
quarterback since he was 6 years old. It didn't just happen over night, but it happened
because he put forth the effort. It happened even though there have been countless
moments of frustration, loss, disappointment, and times that he wondered if it would ever be worth it.
But through it all, he knew that he wanted to win more than he wanted to loose,
so he made it happen.
It reminded me of an email I just received from a sweet girl who is putting together a
SHINE event in a different state. Here's what part of it said,
It reminded me of an email I just received from a sweet girl who is putting together a
SHINE event in a different state. Here's what part of it said,
" ...I never realized all of the hard work that goes into these projects. The anticipation, anxiety, work, effort... The nights laying awake wondering/thinking about who you need to call and if you're working hard enough.
I just want you to know if you are ever getting discouraged... You are a blessing....
Just from this last month I have learned a small piece of the dedication it takes to host an event.
How you just want everyone to love and support your idea as much as your heart is telling you they should!
You work hard lady! Take that to heart..."
I think that there's a misconception about success; that it's easy.
That there are people who are just more naturally talented, smart, lucky, and the list goes on.
And you see these people on stage, or in the spotlight, being recognized for what they're so great at.
But there's a whole part of the story that has been missed.
The whole success of it isn't in that moment of recognizable glory. No, that's not success at all.
Success is in the lonely moments, when the world is crumbling beneath you, and you start
to doubt everything that you have set out to accomplish.
Success is when you find yourself in these pitiful moments, and you make the decision
that you want to win more than you want to loose.
I don't believe that one person is more destined to succeed than another.
What will create your destiny, however, are the choices that you make to either bring you
closer to your goal, or pull you farther away.
Create your own success story.
You're just as good as that person up on stage.
The question is, are you willing to make it happen?














20 comments:
Great post! I love this. You always inspire me to be better. I'm working on Be the Change Council stuff right now and it definitely is scary! PLUS, Satan always seems to work his hardest when we are trying to do good... but it's still so worth it :)
A great message and one that more of us need to hear!
I agree that inherent talent only takes a person *so far*...the rest is blood, sweat, and tears. If you never stretch yourself and reach for the stars, you'll never know what you can achieve.
Thank you for this.
Congratulations to your brother. And thank you because sometimes we need people to remind us of the hard work that does actually go into getting 'there', that when we are disheartened that we need to pick ourselves up and it is all part of the process.
Pippa xxx
Wow. This gave me goosebumps. Thank you so much for sharing!
i am so proud of Chandler!! glad the Gala was fun Ash, keep helping others reach their dreams!!!
xo
Good for Chandler! So proud, and I love what you do!
Good for Chandler! So proud, and I love what you do!
I LOVE this! so inspiring and congrats to your little brother :)
xxx,
Fashion Fractions
Well said. I love this and it is so true! We are definitely in that lonely moment right now where it would be easier to give up, but we know that if we just push even harder success is just around the corner. Thanks for this post Ashley!
Yes! People really need to understand that success takes work. Progress takes work. I was a City Year corp members through AmeriCorps for two years and a Court Appointed Special Advocate for a foster child. I've seen how the other half (well, most of the country, I guess) lives. Success is so much sweeter when you see the dedication it took.
Cheers to you and The Shine Project. I absolutely love what you do!
This is a great message that I needed to hear today!
Congrats to your brother.
and just so you know you are tremendous blessing and oh so very encouraging.
xxO
You are so inspiring!! I really hope you know this :)
sam*
this is inspiring!! how wonderful for you brothers, so exciting :)
AGREED. I'm proud of you, lady! ;) Go check out my blog if you have time. I know you're busy... But I'm excited about the success of the ladies in my work project! :) I know how much it takes to make it happen. Let alone from scratch!! Love you mucho, chica!!! Congrats to Chandler! So so so great!
thank you for writing so clearly; communicating exactly what a girl needs to hear. last one awake in the house, tired, and kinda upset about different business things...and wondering if it is worth pushing forward sometimes.
and then i read this...and am reminded that in the end, it really is MY decision. and not just left up to chance or a lucky break...it's God's perfect timing for me...and my willingness to get there!
thanks mama. loving your thoughts these past couple weeks!! so happy to be following you:).
xx
LOVE the outfit...gorgeous as usual....I agree.....if you want somwrthing bad enough you have to go it...you have to make it happen. I am fully on board missy:)
oh man HUGE congrats to your bro. So swesome. as was this post.
Ashley, I know when I am having a terrible day all I need do is pull up your blog and everything I'm worried, angry, or sad about just melts away. I'm so greatful I found your blog. Thank you so much for being the person you are!
I love that dress!! <3
Post a Comment