photo 1-1.jpg photo 2-1.jpg photo 1-new.jpg photo 2-wear.jpg photo 3-insp.jpg photo 4-meet.jpg photo 5-contact.jpg photo 6-adv.jpg photo 2-2.jpg photo 3-1.jpg

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

11 Business Lessons I Learned The Past Year

 Bracelets- Threads ((new Dino stack!)), Necklace- c/o Caroline G
((make sure you read about our contest starting tonight down below))

The business I have started and grown the past year is everything and nothing that I ever thought I would be doing. I've always known I'd own some type of business, and that I would spend my life helping people... but never did I think I'd learn how to make bracelets, start a give back company out of a tiny two bedroom condo, and be able to employ at risk American youth. It's been a blast to say the least, and it's been fun to be able to have been blogging from before this journey even started because I get to share it with you.

I've learned a lot, lot, lot this past year about business. I've learned from mistakes, opportunities, being taught, and trial and error. Some of the things I've learned are things you can't be taught in school, because they come from feeling them and being in certain situations.

Celebrating our 1 year anniversary week of Threads, tonight I want to share with you the 10 most important business lessons I've learned the past year.

1- You can do a lot of things, but you can't do everything. And if you try to do everything, you will absolutely fail. It is extremely hard for me to pass off tasks to someone else, but I have been getting a lot better at it. When I first started Threads, I really wanted to do everything by myself. I know how I want things done, I know that I'll do it, and I want it done correctly. I quickly learned that I can only do so many things at once, and if I don't delegate, everything that I want will crumble because too many things would be neglected due to lack of time. I also learned that if I do everything by myself I loose out on a lot of good ideas that I could never come up with on my own. It's important to know your limits, and what you need to pass off on someone else to complete.

2- There's power behind a team- This first year has mostly been comprised of interns, a part time employee, and my student employees. I am very selected with who I bring on to my team because Threads is my world and I want like minded people who value it the same. Take time to choose key players who will contribute and find excitement in the work you're doing. They'll help you tremendously. We're now adding on more employees and their excitement only brings the moral up.

3- If you don't believe in it, no one else will either.

4- The power of social media is limitless- I always think "I don't know what I would have done to market my business before social media! So much money and time wasted!" Social media is seriously the key to getting your product and story known. It has connected us to important supporters, donators, customers, magazines, media, everything! Creating a good budget for marketing on social media is totally worth it, and in fact, is necessary.

5- It takes money to make money- Especially in the first couple of years, every time you bring in money it will probably seem like your sending more out. That's the pattern of growth, I have learned, and the investment in better systems, employees, websites, etc, is worth it as your company grows. 

6- You can do a lot, with little- With number 5 said, it's also important to realize that you can really stretch a dollar. Don't get all fancy when you're starting. I know companies who have had tons of investment money and try to do things too big and after the first year completely flop. We've had no funding, have completely boot strapped our whole project, and I have learned what's important to spend money on, and what isn't. 

7- Networking is crucial for you and your business- Early on, I decided I would go to as many events and meet as many people as possible who I could share my story with and collaborate with. This was one of the best decisions I have ever made. By doing so, we got connect with teams like Phoenix Fashion Week, met one of the producers for a national talk show we will be featured on soon, had scholarship donations from large companies... Go meet people! They're fun! And it will open a lot of doors that otherwise you didn't even know existed.

8- Don't be afraid to make mistakes- Before last June, I had never made a bracelet before. I had not ever even wanted to make a bracelet before. There were a lot of things "going against me" to create a bracelet line that I would then teach other people how to produce, but I knew it could work. We have a lot of beautiful bracelets for sale. But we also have a box of junk that I thought would be awesome and then realized it was horrific. Practicing and making mistakes is what allows me to get better. And also laugh because I had a horrible idea.

9- Some day just suck- Let's be real, some days have been so frustrating, demanding, and stressful that I thought my entire body could collapse from exhaustion and fear. When you start your own business you can expect this to happen. In fact, you will be lying to yourself and setting yourself up for some major heartache if you don't acknowledge that it's going to be ridiculously hard sometimes. So when the days suck, suck it up and know that if you do things right things will get better.

10- Doing things for a purpose makes life so much better- Some people's ultimate goal in their life is to be incredibly rich, and they think they'd reach the ultimate happiness. If I started doing this for money, I would have quit a long time ago. The kids give me so much motivation and determination to succeed I can't even put it into words. Knowing that my actions and decisions directly affects a group of people who are counting on me brings purpose, accountability, and direction to my life. There's nothing wrong with making money. But I believe that when success comes, so does a responsibility to help those around us. I've always felt that way and can't wait for the day I can send an entire class to college. Until that day comes, I will find joy knowing the handful of people I work with have more opportunities because of the jobs I've been able to give them.

11- Listen to your customers- A while ago we had our pixie set only available at shows. People started seeing them on Instagram and asking if we could sell them online. I was hesitant at first because they are very expensive to produce. I decided that I'd try it, and they are now our top selling bracelets. We can hardly keep them in stock. But I wouldn't have known that if I didn't listen to our customers. If someone isn't happy with a service or product, do your best to fix it. Your customers are the only reason you're in business... 

I thank all of you sooo much for supporting and following us this whole time. THANK YOU.

**Don't forget to use code Celebrate at checkout all week for 20% off!

To enter today's contest, click on over to our store's site and pin one of the products onto your Pinterest board! One winner will win the item they pin :) Good Luck!
Also, make sure you enter yesterdays contest before it ends tonight. You can find it in yesterday's post.





29 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the Gold Nugget Stack and always love reading your blog! Thanks for the giveaway!
http://pinterest.com/pin/236861261625098010/

Anonymous said...

I would absolutely love to win the Lucky Stack. I've been eyeing it since it came out. Here's my pin: http://pinterest.com/pin/182888434840672916/

Unknown said...

can i pin the whole shop?!?! LOVE your mission and all the pieces that have come from that... i went with the Dino Stack!!! http://pinterest.com/pin/396879785882637158/

Kayleigh Larkins said...

Hard to pick but I pinned the neutral stack! Love it!
http://m.pinterest.com/pin/67976275598572334/

Marsa said...

pinned two of my absolute favorite that i have bee eying out foreverrr :)

http://pinterest.com/pin/173740498097583356/

http://pinterest.com/pin/173740498097583355/

Mrs. Athy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Athy said...

I pinned the gold nugget stack! Such a pretty combination!
http://pinterest.com/pin/142426406938436754/

I also pinned the bow bracelet, I think it's just the cutest :)

Aguś said...

I pinned Crystal Quartz bracelet:) so so beautiful!
http://pinterest.com/theshineproject/threads-merchandise/

Jennifer Jackson Taylor said...

You are such an inspiration Ashely!! Keep up the good work. And thanks for this post, it's exactly what I needed to hear today.

Alexandra Lauren said...

Loving the new bracelets & all that you continue to do and learn and remind us all. You are one wise lady!

I chose the lovely stack :) http://pinterest.com/pin/201958364513072008/

Allie | LunaVida said...

Love everything in your store :)
My pin: http://pinterest.com/pin/165859198750017210/

jennifer.essad said...

the link to my board for entry:http://pinterest.com/4jlessad/the-shine-project/

ashleyelizabeth19 said...

You are an inspiration. I love your blog and how you have made such a difference in so many people's lives.

pinned http://pinterest.com/pin/27725353929148544/

Unknown said...

pinned- loving the Pixie! :) Cheers.

Unknown said...

woops! forgot to leave the link - http://pinterest.com/pin/153333562286043786/

Ange said...

I read your blog regularly for inspiration. Thanks for sharing your journey!

http://pinterest.com/pin/278801033154948810/

heidi @ idieh design said...

Been eyeing this tank for awhile now. :) http://pinterest.com/pin/279997301805816627/

Katherine said...

great post!

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I'd love to win this elephant! So cute! :)
http://pinterest.com/pin/60728294948438910/

Jill said...

I pinned my favorite bracelet:

http://pinterest.com/pin/52776626856261064/

Thank you.

keshakeke said...

Happy one year anniversary! Yay! You have done such AMAZING things! I pinned the natural stack! http://pinterest.com/pin/118993615127127341/
Thank you for the giveaway!
keshakeke(at)gmail(dot)com

Ally Lim said...

I LOVE Threads and the difference you guys are making!! Congratulations on your one year anniversary! :)

Pinned: http://pinterest.com/pin/560768591072415244/

Unknown said...

This is an absolutely invaluable list Ashley, thank you for sharing each gem :)

Wishing you more and more success in the future, you truly deserve it!

Christie W said...

Love what you are doing! Don't know how it took me this long to hear about you. I live in AZ and taught in Phoenix. I love everything but this was my favorite because of the "be the change" bracelet!

http://pinterest.com/pin/63120832250588003/

Kristen Urasek said...

Goodness, I've been eying up the Pink Stack since I first laid eyes on it! I hardly ever wear pink but that stack is just too cute. I think it may have changed my entire opinion about the color. Much congratulations on the Threads anniversary!

http://pinterest.com/pin/194006696420723318/

Kelly said...

Wow, what great lessons! Thank you for sharing!

xx
Kelly
Sparkles and Shoes
Don't forget about the switch to BlogLovin!

julia said...

Wow, great post! You speak authentically and I enjoyed reading. I am hoping to start a family business one day and this is inspiring.

Megan Jordan said...

Love these and I agree 100%! I can't always put my feelings into words so I find joy reading someone that has a lot of the same views. You truly are an inspiration!

Unknown said...

The selection of the 2015 annual uggs outlet retirement livable countries, South American countries Air Jordan 11 Gamma Blue of Ecuador composite score 92.7 Christian Louboutin Bois Dore points once again Christian Louboutin Daffodile become the most livable countries in North America retirees. Among them, Ecuador christian louboutin remise 50% on climate and housing indicators get out, get a ugg pas cher score discount nike jordans of 96 special benefits in the elderly."International cheap nike jordan shoes Living" magazine, said the discount christian louboutin low cost of living is Bags Louis Vuitton one of the biggest advantages of Ecuador. There, "to see a ugg soldes doctor only wholesale jordan shoes needs about $ 10, the lowest for a Discount Louis Vuitton meal in a ugg australia restaurant uggs on sale as long as 250 Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags dollars; including rent included, an American couple in the cost of living here is just $ 1,400 a month."In addition, older people in all Cheap LV Handbags aspects of life can enjoy special benefits, but also Ecuador cheap christian louboutin praiseworthy. For example, over 65 years old to purchase from Ecuador christian louboutin shoes flights can enjoy discounts, watch Discount LV Handbags movies or cheap jordans participate in sports activities to ugg boots enjoy half-price concessions in the christian louboutin country.In the low ugg cost of living, while Ecuador there are many world-renowned natural and cultural attractions, as settlers provide the perfect entertainment choice.