photo 1-1.jpg photo 2-1.jpg photo 1-new.jpg photo 2-wear.jpg photo 3-insp.jpg photo 4-meet.jpg photo 5-contact.jpg photo 6-adv.jpg photo 2-2.jpg photo 3-1.jpg

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What Do Your Relationships Do for You?

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Shirt-Thrifted ($1.98), Pants- F21, Watch- Betsy Johnson, Necklace/Headband-F21

I'm a nerd, it's fine. I've been studying about building interpersonal communication and relationships. That's not important to you. What IS important is knowing what kind of relationships you are drawn to, and making sure that they are healthy and build you up. So, we're gonna do a little test that I found. You will rank yourself 1-10, 1 meaning "never" and 10 meaning "always"...
1. My relationships help to lesson my loneliness

2. My relationships put uncomfortable pressure on me to expose my vulnerabilities

3. My relationships help me to secure stimulation (intellectual, physical, and emotional)

4. My relationships increase my obligations

5. My relationships help me gain self-knowledge and self-esteem

6. My relationships prevent me from developing other relationships

7. My relationships help enhance my physical and emotional health

8. My relationships scare me because they may be difficult to dissolve

9. My relationships maximize my pleasures and minimize my pains

10. My relationships hurt me

The odd numbered statements (1,3,5,7, and 9) reflect what most people would consider advantages of relationships. These are the numbers that you want to rank high on. The even numbered statements are what most people consider disadvantages or relationships. When those numbers are high, you feel pressure, distressed, and sucked of time and energy. If your even numbers outweigh your odd numbers, then it's time to do some re-evaluating of what relationships you need to get out of, and what ones you need to put more energy into. Each of us are attracted to certain types of people. This is influences by appearance, personality, hobbies, etc. If you feel like you are attracted to toxic relationships, make a change. You can do it, I promise!

What kind of relationships give you the most satisfaction?

24 comments:

The Michelle Show said...

Well I'm happy to say that my odd numbers were all above 5, and my evens were all below 5... I guess that indicates pretty healthy then.

I like healthy, comfortable, and open relationships.

lori said...

i liked this little test- it proved i have healthy relationships...

obviously my relationship with my husband gives me the ultimate satisfaction, but a close second is my bestie. we've been best friends for almost 14 years now... and she has been there through it all!

Alysson said...

This was such a fun little test! Thanks for sharing. I have a healthy, meaningful, positive relationship with my amazing man. XO

PS YOUR SHIRT IS THRIFTED?! jealous! I love it

http://simplicityisultimatesophistication.wordpress.com/

Unknown said...

I'm a nerd too, it's OK! I love self-help books :)

HettyA said...

This is really perfect for me right now. Thank you for psting! I've been feeling like some of my friends have either asked way too much of me or simply just don't care, so having a pretty hard time seeing who is there for me and all that.

Stesha said...

Thanks for this post Ash! Its perfect. and definitely an eye opener. You look adorable as always!!
xxoo

Kristen Thornburg said...

My relationship with God gives me the most satisfaction... along with my Husband and daughter :)
Family is the best.

Unknown said...

oh you look so pretty!! ...as far as relationships, I look for ones with the least amount of drama. and while I do have scars from past relationships, I suppose I fall more on the odd numbered/positive advantages of relationships.

Kelly said...

Not surprised with the results, but at least I was glad to see I was correct :p. And working on it! :) You look so good!

Unknown said...

Interpersonal communication and relationships are important to me! But I am a social worker and studied marital and family therapy, after all. :) Healthy relationships really enrich life to a degree I can't describe. I don't know where I'd be without my family and sweet husband! Great test to get people thinking!
P.S. Love the outfit! You're beautiful!
~ Angela

grahamandangela.blogspot.com

Gaby said...

so interesting, i think i'm going to have to think about this one a bit more... thanks for sharing!

Elle Keeps Moving said...

i've already said this to you on my blog, but i'll say it again now that i've had time to check out your blog: i'm totally obsessed with you too. you're beautiful, your smart, funny and totally hip. LOVE IT.

Elle Keeps Moving said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bailey Schneider said...

Wow - real food for thought! Thank you for sharing this!

Been catching up on your blog! LOVING IT!
And it reminded me... I haven't sent you the photos of your gorgeous necklaces in Africa! *blush*
I will get those to you shortly!
x

Diana Smith said...

First of all you look soooo pretty! And my favorite kind of relationship is one with open communication and lots of laughter!

Alli said...

My relationships are generally positive but the one problem I have right now is that a lot of my friends just left college while I'm sticking around for grad school which means whenever I'm trying to see them it starts feeling like another obligation on top of school, fiance, and family. It shouldn't be but when you have to travel 2+ hours to see people it gets hard. :( My problem right now is learning how to lessen the feel of obligation and increase the feel of "this is my free time and this is the way I want to enjoy it".

Ash said...

i LOVE your hair and headband! cute :) and, lemma tell you, there is something about me, my mother, AND my father that attracts "not-so-good" relationships...perhaps it's genetic? anyway, it makes it really difficult finding new friends- I SHOULD keep my guard up, but I don't. I usually wait until I end being screwed over to realize maybe it was such a good relationship...eep! But I will say, it's made me realize how much I love and care about those few close relationships I've built over the years :)

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

you are such a cutie - love this outfit, ashley!!!

Cassi said...

What a fun idea, and I LOVE that thrifted blouse. Beautiful look :)

Sara SHOEmaker said...

It was so great to officially meet you on Sunday! I love meeting bloggers :) this outfit is precccciousss. I want that headband! Hope you're still surviving the heat down there...

The House of Shoes

Unknown said...

Hi! I found you from reading Little Miss Momma's blog and am a new follower! I love your message and you are a beautiful woman.

Your Fellow Arizonan,
-Karly

Sarah Grecco said...

Interesting test! I was right about what I thought I was which means I am at least self aware....

That headband with the necklace is so flippin cute! Great backdrop too.

xo,
Sarah
Get Up & Go

Alyssa said...

You are such an awesome gal! Love your blog and love your positivity! I wish I was as positive as you!
Oh and I LOVE that shirt and want it!!!

Tiffany said...

My relationship with my Heavenly Father and my husband give me the most satisfaction, then my relationship with my BFF and my beautiful boys!! I'm sending this to my sister-in-law. YOU. ARE. AMAZING.