photo 1-1.jpg photo 2-1.jpg photo 1-new.jpg photo 2-wear.jpg photo 3-insp.jpg photo 4-meet.jpg photo 5-contact.jpg photo 6-adv.jpg photo 2-2.jpg photo 3-1.jpg

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tricks to Thrifting

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


This blazer is my latest score from a thrift store. I was giddy because I've been wanting one forever, but did not want to pay the price! I found this UNWORN blazer for $12 at Goodwill. It was glowing from a distance, and calling my name. People always ask me how I find such cute things at thrift stores. Here's a few of my tricks!


1. Plug your nose and don't pay attention to the smell of moth balls. I know it reminds you of your great grandma's bright green walls and fuzzy carpets, but we've got to get over this major set back!


2. Look beyond what it is NOW. Most of the clothes are wrinkled with shoulder pads the size of earth. Picture the blouse WASHED, ironed, and the shoulder pads taken out... It does WONDERS my friends! Most of the dresses I buy had shoulder pads that I removed. Don't expect to find all your treasures in perfect condition!


3. Go to estate-sales. Lucky for me, my mom owns an estate sale business. You can look up ones in your area on estatesales.net. Estate sales are hidden gems with AMAZING vintage finds, furniture that you can redo...everything. AND they're usually cheap.


4. Accessorize! If you find a dress or blouse that's too big (basically all of mine from thrift stores are) put a belt around the waist and watch the bagginess transform into SEXY. Oh yes, big dresses with a cinched waist can be SEXY! ;) But if you ever pay more than $2 for a belt, I will hunt you down...!


5. Don't be embarrassed. Some people feel awkward about telling people they found something at a thrift store. Girrrrl, embrace it! I'm proud when people tell me how much they love what I'm wearing, and I can say that I got it for $1.50. Let your creative side come out when you search through thrift stores!


Happy Thrifting!


AND! Click HERE for a Stella and Dot fundraiser for Cyntosis by A Happy Girl

45 comments:

Marian said...

I love thrift shopping!! One man's just is another man's treasure....sooo true!! Thanks for the tips:)

Unknown said...

love thrifting and consignment shopping!!! :)

Amy @ Amy Day to Day said...

What a great find! I really need to thrift more. It's hard for me to see the potential of something and get past the smell. Don't hunt me down, but I just spent $16 on a belt at Target. Ouch!

Ashley Romney said...

Perfectly brillant tips!! And thrifting is also a good thing because most second hand stores are supporting a good cause or the money is being put in to help others!! I LOVE the blazer...gorgeous on you!

Cindy said...

Yep! Thrift stores are my dream stores. There have been days I've literally dressed head to toe (yes, I even buy used shoes~ I find most of those in consignment shops) in 2nd hand gear!

courtiebeth said...

Ashley you are the cutest! I love this post!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips! I don't know why I never thought of taking out the shoulder pads. Can't wait to try and thrift soon!

Kym @ Travel Babbles said...

I absolutely LOVE thrifting. I especially love collecting jewelry pieces and dresses. I can't tell you how many times I've been complimented on a certain dress or piece...when I tell people I picked them up at the local thrift store their eyes go bug-eyed they can't believe me! =)

Mrs. Celeste said...

haha i JUST did a post about thrifting a couple of days ago! maybe theres an in season to finding fantastic finds right now or something?

because i found a dulce and gabbana purse at the THRIFT STORE! FOR 15 BUCKS! holy smokes huh? i flipped out too! haha so i can totally relate to how excited you are about your new blazer.

psssst! hey theres a giveaway at AlphabetSoup Style

Sara SHOEmaker said...

oh my goodness I just got that necklace online and cannot WAIT for it to show up! great find with that blazer btw. half my wardrobe is thrifted from the D.I. here in rexburg :) it's wonderful isn't it?!

House of Shoes

Katie said...

Thank you for posting this! I am a thrift store addict so I always appreciate when someone else shares my love for them. I actually have plans with my mom to go "goodie" shopping tomorrow!

Unknown said...

I love shopping at the DI! And I love telling people I got my cute clothes there. :) I love your outfit. You are very stylish my friend!

Emily said...

I love thrifting! Your tips are right on. I seem to find the most amazing shoes and vintage dresses at thrift stores. I try to always look for the potential in items, considering what it would look like with a new coat of paint or with the shirt shortened or brought in. The thrill of the hunt, and scoring an incredible deal can't be beat!

his little lady said...

LOVE this necklace! so perfect! you rock it girl!
XO

http://ericplustanya.blogspot.com

vanessa said...

i can't wait to go estate-sale-ing this summer! i've found some of my favorite things at thrift stores...love your top! :)

Ashley said...

I so need to follow your tips for thrift-ing. I have this serious phobia about previously worn clothes... I need to get over it! I know lots of people who score great deals, like your blazer, at thrift stores. You look great in that blazer. Thanks for sharing your tips. I am SO sorry I bought a belt for $4 recently... please don't hunt me down hehe. (:

Unknown said...

It helps when you look like you ... I am sure you could get away with wearing just about anything! Great tips still! :)

Kristen said...

i'm going to wipe the slate clean and take your advice. i've never been a fan of thrift stores, mostly because of the smell and often i just dont have the patience to dig through things! but i've been looking for unique pieces at various clothing stores and having no such luck... maybe thrift shopping it is! Time to look at things differently and be creative with what it can be!

btw. that blazer is super cute and fits you perfect! love how you dressed it up!

Leslie said...

I love thrifting! i've definitely had those moments in goodwill when the item is just GLOWING calling your name!

Amanda said...

I love thrift shops/flea market/etc!! My grandma raised me going to such stores, trying to teach me that sometimes the best things don't cost a lot of money. You never know what gems you'll find. I don't usually buy clothes, because that's always felt strange to me...but I think I'll start giving them more than a passing glance. Thanks for the great post!

Meg said...

Great post girl. I think I may try again. I've gone a couple of time and tend to get a bit frustrated but I think that just comes with the territory so I'll try again!

Erin @ Living In Yellow said...

Thank you for the difference that you just helped make in Indiana :)

http://livinginyellow.blogspot.com/2011/05/andmy-cup-is-filled.html

C Mae said...

The next time you go thrifting TAKE ME WITH YOU!!! LOL you are Very talented at pulling these looks off!!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm actually wearing my brand new pink cashmere sweater I picked up at a garage sale this last weekend for just $5 - with the Bloomingdales tag still on! What I also love about thrift store shopping is if I only end up wearing it a few times I don't have to feel guilty about it. Plus, I've taken things down to a local consignment shop and gotten more for them then what I paid.

Laura:: said...

Love the post. I love thrifting but mostly for furniture. I got a really cute new kitchen table and chairs for $50 today - I plan on recovering the chair cushions, then bam! personalized and super cheap. =)

http://fairdalediaries.blogspot.com

Allison said...

Thank you for sharing all your tricks! I feel smarter and ready to get lucky in thrifting. :)

Sherri said...

Love the post and I am also a thrifty shopper! I admit at first I went for home decor to makeover. Finally I decided to give the clothes a whirl. I'm SO glad I did. I can add awesome pieces to my work-wear for mere dollars. My entire office knows I shop the Goodwill. I wear my $2.99 name brand label dresses with pride.

Randi Lynn said...

Oh, I wish my dear old town had more thrift stores! I know what you mean about the nasty smells...my one thrift store smells like urine and a grandmother's basement.

Unknown said...

hehe plug your nose, i like that one :) i love your shirt, and am so excited by your sweet comment bc youre freaking amazing girl. the shine project is so amazing, you help so many people! what a good heart you have :)

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Mrs. Biscuit said...

Thanks for finding my blog! Your blog looks awesome and I'm now your newest follower, so, "Hi!!"

This was an awesome post. I love thrifting for household stuff, cute vintage bowls, art, etc... but clothing is definitely something I haven't been shopping for at thrift stores. Perhaps I should give it a serious effort! =)


<3 MuffinLovesBiscuit

Jacque said...

Oh I am a HUGE fan of Goodwill shopping these days! I always seem to find shoes when I go there and I've gotten a lot of my professional work clothes there. Old Navy, Express, Banana Republic, and American Eagle all at low low prices. Doesn't get better than that!

Emily said...

I have the worst luck at thrift stores but there is no way i would ever think you got that at a thrift store,therefore you inspired me to try my luck again!

Diana Smith said...

These tips are awesome lady!!! I love your outfit. That blazer looks so cute on you and its perfectly fitted too. I love how you accessorized like you said, the necklace matches your eyes perfectly! You are GORGEOUS!

sorelle in style said...

i agree with you, i love telling people the bargain i got on something i'm wearing! these are great tips - and that blazer is fantastic, great find!

-j
sorelle in style

meg fee said...

ummmm....awesome blazer and even better tips. now i won't feel bad when i go in and have the urge to plug my nose--i'll just embrace it!

Marjorie said...

I'm a new follower! I love your tips, especially for the estate sales. I'd like to learn to be more adventurous with buying clothes. The blazer looks great!

Jenna Lee said...

I'm all about that necklace! Thats beautiful! The color is great and it looks great with the blazer

The Balch Bunch said...

I LOVE thrifting! I love being able to tell someone that I found something awesome for only 2 bucks! I am not ashamed! :)

Kristen said...

thanks for the tips gf!

Gena S. said...

First, wanted to say that I just added you to my daily-reads. Love your style and the blog name!

As for second-hand shopping: I used do to it 'cause I was looking for something different. That's when you could get polyester disco shirts and corduroys because noone else was wearing them. Now I thrift to get brand name stuff in my budget. I have noticed a a huge increase in finding brand-new items with tags still on - maybe it's all of the hoarding shows on tv inspiring people to purge their closets? I just found a new Banana Republic sweater for $4!!

Kelly said...

Thanks for the tips! : )

Holly said...

That blazer is awesome! Estate sales sound really cool, is that site worldwide or just US? *goes off to look*

Anonymous said...

vgnlyzx [url=http://www.guccisprings.com/]グッチ アウトレット[/url] zjfnyjr wlawtsa http://www.guccisprings.com/ hmysdbm xuuqhin [url=http://www.guccisprings.com/]グッチ 財布[/url] gecxrsz enafmcj [url=http://www.guccisprings.com/]グッチ バッグ[/url] gakayqt yvhbote [url=http://www.chloefind.com/]クロエ 財布新作[/url] rhxfmzy sbborxf [url=http://www.chloefind.com/]クロエ バッグ[/url] lsidbft xrbetrf [url=http://www.chloefind.com/]クロエ アウトレット[/url] sacysja bcvhtjw [url=http://www.seebychloeja.com/]シーバイクロエ バッグ[/url] pktyqbs smtucms http://www.colorfulchloeja.com/ gambryw jelfxwo [url=http://www.chloe2013ss.com/]クロエ 財布[/url] opdyfmz rkbgbsw [url=http://www.chloe2013ss.com/]クロエ バッグ[/url] vxzxaba qyxjrxp [url=http://www.chloe2013ss.com/]クロエ 財布新作[/url] sjzqisa dbrhbis http://www.chloe2013ss.com/ xmpiylx xvreiax [url=http://www.bestjpgucci.com/]グッチ アウトレット[/url] znvfngw qzyibkp [url=http://www.bestjpgucci.com/]グッチ 財布[/url] kqlzuwo hjkxlgn [url=http://www.bestjpgucci.com/]グッチ 財布 新作[/url] vbbdzbj zjpuhnf http://www.bestjpgucci.com/ sgphajp cmuimyg [url=http://www.guccistationsjp.com/]グッチ アウトレット[/url] eagdggj wqlxrxy [url=http://www.guccistationsjp.com/]グッチ バッグ[/url] quqqvyy ftlvhlq [url=http://www.guccistationsjp.com/]gucci 財布[/url] lvbzzka alaxida http://www.guccistationsjp.com/ xxpcixt mphrolw http://www.chloefind.com/ aexqdpa ojwedhu [url=http://www.seebychloeja.com/]シーバイクロエ 財布[/url] yeaffai nqeihrn [url=http://www.seebychloeja.com/]シーバイクロエ アウトレット[/url] idqcgqy zimxrpy http://www.seebychloeja.com/ wnmgrzn rawmqwb [url=http://www.colorfulchloeja.com/]クロエ 財布[/url] kerzdti dxdkycl [url=http://www.colorfulchloeja.com/]クロエ アウトレット[/url] cazndfg hzgqbbm [url=http://www.colorfulchloeja.com/]シーバイクロエ 財布[/url] ydshhwl

Anonymous said...

fdyskcl [url=http://www.guccisprings.com/]グッチ アウトレット[/url] rjenjsw fteqosw http://www.guccisprings.com/ mhchnue ethmtxm [url=http://www.guccisprings.com/]グッチ 財布[/url] vvfkcmk kdebzib [url=http://www.guccisprings.com/]グッチ バッグ[/url] rxvyilk warampa [url=http://www.chloefind.com/]クロエ 財布新作[/url] iwgsssh aijqkgg [url=http://www.chloefind.com/]クロエ バッグ[/url] zlkujch nqwsuwe [url=http://www.chloefind.com/]クロエ アウトレット[/url] kqvhjuo rftdrul [url=http://www.seebychloeja.com/]シーバイクロエ バッグ[/url] viuddgs bquanus http://www.colorfulchloeja.com/ fejwmne oihswmy [url=http://www.chloe2013ss.com/]クロエ 財布[/url] njtkjys fpgxwrs [url=http://www.chloe2013ss.com/]クロエ バッグ[/url] tackldn mjwanzr [url=http://www.chloe2013ss.com/]クロエ アウトレット[/url] cosnnzv xlupveg http://www.chloe2013ss.com/ ypekrxt niqmjuv [url=http://www.bestjpgucci.com/]グッチ アウトレット[/url] bplcwrm exhytdl [url=http://www.bestjpgucci.com/]グッチ 財布[/url] zxnkezh zfoakfr [url=http://www.bestjpgucci.com/]グッチ 財布 新作[/url] pxswukx hfspskw http://www.bestjpgucci.com/ dmwkkup srsuhnu [url=http://www.guccistationsjp.com/]グッチ アウトレット[/url] cxpiuki rtssbvw [url=http://www.guccistationsjp.com/]グッチ 財布[/url] nakdcvq ohkcwth [url=http://www.guccistationsjp.com/]グッチ 財布 新作[/url] hdmmbxk xwabqcq http://www.guccistationsjp.com/ hmzguep raudixa http://www.chloefind.com/ cjeenjm rehuvaz [url=http://www.seebychloeja.com/]シーバイクロエ 財布[/url] rapgiof dpplyqm [url=http://www.seebychloeja.com/]シーバイクロエ アウトレット[/url] eglviwu ppfjrvk http://www.seebychloeja.com/ esvealg qologmg [url=http://www.colorfulchloeja.com/]クロエ 財布[/url] othlria fkhggwf [url=http://www.colorfulchloeja.com/]クロエ バッグ[/url] wxuumga ckvjyvp [url=http://www.colorfulchloeja.com/]シーバイクロエ バッグ[/url] rccjyzs

Anonymous said...

Should you wan that you should feel like such stars, grab any kind of artist case. Burberry shop bags Whenever a girl uses lots of money in carriers, [url=http://www.katespadefassyon.com/]ケイトスペード バッグ 新作[/url],it certainly is not just the particular ladies handbag; it is usually anything above this. Brand name purses and clutches, purses and purses provide as the reply to a terrific clothing and it's also but not only its substantial price tag. ">Burberry scarves outlet The latest ladies tote is one within your best good friends, [url=http://www.chromeheartssilverjp.com/]www.chromeheartssilverjp.com[/url],irrespective of whether, not really from the neck carry, a brand new satchel or maybe a ladies handbag; it is quite useful.

The majority of you may not easily pick up just about any bag yet usually select a new creator bag. Designer purses and bags, artist tote and people are fond of buying designer bags will be the chosen options for it is long lasting, sophisticated and in model. This type of tote offers your concept, personal as well as determining structure of an certain developer. [url=http://www.gagawatchjap.com/]www.gagawatchjap.com[/url],Very good with the artist jar has reached it has the top to make sure that possibly world-wide tough financial system right now cannot cease the income involving Mentor, Louis Vinton along with Gucci, everlasting it's actually increasing rates. Burberry outlet outlet online Typically the overwhelming associated with your top quality totes mustn't possibly be which excessive to take care of. [url=http://www.annasuigirl.com/]アナスイ[/url],Many different companies related to really great features manufacturer handbags that are worth this unique substantial expense.

Women do not definitely notice is in reality high-cost nevertheless flexibility; toughness is amongst the most essential needs that tote ought to get. These folks move empty your wallet to get a custom made tote nevertheless the spending is actually reasonable and acceptable whenever they get a designer transporter you can use time and time again. For what reason do women like the custom handbag? Adult men ladies are clearly popular animals along with extremely popular products always attract these people. Designer totes have the ability to in the sophisticated along with beautiful styles together with variations.
[url=http://www.perez-winkler.com/node/770097]¥Þ¥¤¥±¥ë¥³©`¥¹ ¥Ð¥Ã¥°[/url]
[url=http://wiki.islga.org/index.php/A_Note_to_Suicidal_Teens]¥Þ¥¤¥±¥ë¥³©`¥¹ ¥Ð¥Ã¥°[/url]
[url=http://ministryofcurry.com/curry-forum/activity/p/19432/]¥¯¥í¥à¥Ï©`¥Ä µêÅn[/url]
[url=http://wiki.adaptivesoft.com.br/index.php?title=One_of_these_listings_From_An_Austin_Income_Consultants%27_Executive_Holy_bible]¥Þ¥¤¥±¥ë¥³©`¥¹ Ø”²¼[/url]
[url=http://slacknet.no-ip.org/wiki/index.php/The_Life_Coach_Can_Be_Your_Personal_Supporter_LadyPens]¥Þ¥¤¥±¥ë¥³©`¥¹ µêÅn[/url]