{Hubby left this for me on the cookie tray yesterday}
This past month as been a learning experience for me. As some of you know, I run.... a lot. I trained really hard for a half marathon I ran in February, and made it a habit to run 6-8 miles/day. It was my release for stress, a time to think, and got out all of my energy! Over a month ago, I injured the major ligaments in my knee badly, and they found a cyst behind my knee. I couldn't walk for over 2 weeks, didn't go to work for a month, and was unable to perform easy tasks like doing the dishes. I still can hardly stand up for short periods of time, and I've had to rely on other people to help me. I am the kind of person who is ALWAYS running around doing something, but I have had to simplify my life.
We ALL face opposition that doesn't make sense, cripples us for a moment, and tests our ability to rise above. The thick darkness of confusion blinds us, and we forget the fight that we once had within us. It's hard to go through trials. But it's even harder when we neglect who we really are. And who we really are can ALWAYS overcome opposition. Here's how:
1. Don't forget the virtue of PATIENCE.
You can ask anyone that knows me really well; I AM NOT A PATIENT PERSON. I want things to happen NOW, and hate waiting for the right timing of things to allign. But guess what!? We HAVE to learn patience in this life. Trials allow us to do that.
2. Never lose sight of what you want most.
In the midst of opposition, it is so easy to become a victim of fallen goals. Whether it be wanting to overcome a sickness, recover a broken heart, or pick up our lives after a major loss, we cant forget what we ultimately want. And what we want is to reach the finish line in victory.
3. Give yourself a reality check
Too many times I hear "I can't do this", or "I can't do that." You CAN'T do it? Or you're too afraid to do hard things that might be uncomfortable? I wake up a lot of mornings feeling like I can't go another day in so much pain. Then I think, well of course I can! I have no other option, so let's make the best of it! Write down what you CAN do to conquer what is bringing you down. Write on paper where you are in relation to what you want most, and honestly see what you have to do to get there. The reality is...you CAN do it.
4. Count your blessings
For a while I kept a blessings journal. Every night I would write down three things that I was grateful for that day. Because I did it so often, I began having to write things down like the color yellow, chocolate chips, and full eyelashes. You'll soon find that you have WAY more going for you than against you.
5. Find your inner strength
When we feel like we keep being knocked down, it's important to remember who we really are. Choose 5 positive characteristics that you think define who you are. Write down how you can use each strength to your advantage, and focusing on developing what you're already good at. Now fight for your happiness, and prove to yourself that you have what it takes to overcome anything.
Now go eat a smiley face cookie! :)













19 comments:
So true, and thank you for this :) it's good to be reminded that we need to step back and think a bit. Love your dress by the way! Reminds me a bit like Jacqueline Kennedy beautiful! hehe
This helps so much!! Thankyou! :)
Thanks so much. This is so true! :)
Thanks for sharing all of these! Awesome post. I especially love the idea of a blessings journal. I think I'm going to start one for myself. Thanks for sharing the idea. :)
This is wonderful. I hope your knee gets better!!
This is just what I needed to read today! Thank you!
AMEN!
Ashley- I read your post everyday and this is a good one! I am inspired by your example to "Shine" and am grateful you shared you personal story with us. These challenges make us stronger and being grateful for the small things and patient in the process makes our endurance possible. You are simply amazing! :)
Such a wonderful post, Ashley! I am so glad that you found my blog, so I was able to find yours. You are truly beautiful inside and out.
dana
danalovestobake.blogspot.com
You are the most inspiring girl ever!! I LOVE your tips, they are incredible. I can't imagine going from running all the time to not even being able to walk. You are a hero for us all to look up to.
I have a random question for you. What did you major in/or in the process of majoring in??
www.ashleymariefrederickson.blogspot.com
I SOOOOO needed that today. I have been going through some physical trials as well. Thank you Ashleigh!!
PLEASE tell me where you got that adorable cardi!! I've been searching for something like that and just haven't been able to find one I love. I LOVE yours! I promise I won't wear it the same day as you :)
I am so sorry you've gone through so much with your injury :( I hope it finishes healing asap! But I do love this post. Such a great reminder!
beautiful outfit...I love the white headband in your hair!! Such an encouraging post...off to explore your blog more!
beautiful post that was so helpful! i am so sorry you have been faced with such a challenge-i pray for perserverance, patience, and healing!
:)gina
grea post! sometimes it's good to slow down and let other people help us.
ps. love your cute little sweater :)
You are such a source of strength! Do you ever have weak days! I am the exact opposite of you. You embody strength and confindence! I'm sorry about your injury. I had meningitis and March and it was miserable. I'm an "I do it myself" kinda person and it got so frustrating not being able to even get a cup of water! I hope you heal quickly :)
Thanks. It's sometimes hard to remember that in order to have the good, we've got to appreciate the struggle too.
What a classic beauty you are....inside and out. Wonderful post!!
Love this. The photos in the beginning are beautiful as always Ashley! I thought you were going to say, how to overcome opposition, look super cute in a yellow dress--just kidding, but perhaps it might work sometimes? I feel your pain and love this lesson. I am also a runner and once I knocked my baby toe all the way crooked and was crying not over the extreme pain, but over the fact that I could not run for 2 weeks! May your knee heal asap and get you back on the road again lovie! xox!
Post a Comment