photo 1-1.jpg photo 2-1.jpg photo 1-new.jpg photo 2-wear.jpg photo 3-insp.jpg photo 4-meet.jpg photo 5-contact.jpg photo 6-adv.jpg photo 2-2.jpg photo 3-1.jpg

Sunday, September 25, 2011

You Do What?

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Dress- Vintage (will be in the SHINE shop this week)

It's inevitable. I meet someone new, and during our obligitory small talk, they ask me what I do for a living. This moment is where things get a little sticky. You see, THIS is what I do for a living. This little blog right here, The Shine Project, is my creative space, my outlet, and my full time "job". I'm not the kind of person that can sit behind a desk and answer phones all day. I just can't.

I also can't work for other people. I think I have too many of my own good ideas for that.

So, back to the moment when someone I have never met before asks me what my job is. I never really know how to respond:

"I'm a blogger. Who raises money for inner city highschool students, tries to motivate people to be happy, an event planner, started an online vintage shine shop, constantly makes Shine necklaces, does a lot of marketing, has to be sure to have creative content every day and good lighting so my husband can perfeclty capture some outfit posts (insert sarcasm), and when I make any sort of food I have to document every step so people will "pin" it."

See, told ya it gets a little difficult.

During a conversation I was having last week in one of these inevitable encounters, I realized something. I don't need to justify what I do. Because, unlike most people, I can honestly say that I LOVE what I do. Being a small business owner has this stigma of lots of labor with no money coming in. I realized it doesn't matter if people think that. My goal has been to impact the world. This is how I can do that.

Many nights I can't sleep thinking about the kids I'm trying to help, how to raise more money, how to better market The Shine Project, how to better connect with you...and oh how the list goes on!

But then morning comes. And I'm EXCITED to start my day, excited to move forward, and excited to create something that didn't exist before. More relationships, happiness, ideas, and motivation. I guess I can't really sum up my "job" in a one word answer. But I don't have to.

I know most of you don't do it fulltime, but how do you explain blogging to your friends/family?

33 comments:

Christina'Marie said...

I think your job description rocks:) Love that outfit by the way!

Unknown said...

Oh you have no idea how much I love this post! What you are doing and what you have accomplished is something I hope to do. 98% percent of the time I am miserable when I go to work because I don't want to do what I do. I feel selfish when that happens because I know I am fortunate to have a great job with benefits, but I hate that I'm miserable in it. Since I have started blogging, I have realized what it is that I want to do. I want to write, I want to craft and I want to inspire and help other brides and couples. I hope that one day I can say that I was able to answer that question like you. That blogging was my job. That inspiring people to realize the little things in life that matter and inspiring brides with ideas and budget cuts. When my family hears me complain about my job or talk about my blog, I get tired of explaining myself. I guess no one really gets it yet, because it doesn't seem like a dependable career. I'm very happy for you...that you are able to spend your time doing what you love and helping others! You have inspired me and given me hope! Have a great week!

Stesha said...

your the best!!! I loved your description Ash! You can just simply say... My job is to change the world!! cuz thats what your doing right???

Sheri said...

I LOVE your description of what you do, it sounds absolutely perfect! I would love to blog full time and make it my job. What you do is so admirable, I don't know how anyone could look down on that. But I do understand, it's hard to explain blogging to others!

I usually tell people that it is such a close-knit, amazingly supportive community and that's why I love it. We all have our own creative outlets and this happens to be mine.

You are wonderful!
xo

Ashley Romney said...

Ashley you are such an inspiration!! I often think about how amazing your full time job really is. You inspire so many people on a daily basis and not a lot of people can say that!! When people ask, I like to think of it as a great opportunity to sell them on your business. It's an opportunity to tell them to check out your website! You are amazing and you are doing great things! :)

My Life as Whitney said...

I say that i am a full time creator because we all are! Whereat we create something new whether its a paper we write for class, a new dish we cooked or a pillow we sew. Your job is spreading joy and happiness!

Gentri said...

I love this. :) I would love for my blog to be my full time job. Eventually. People who don't blog don't really understand it, so I've just come to accept that. I love it, and I love what it's taught me. :)

Fallon said...

I love this. I have the same problem when i tell people im a stay at home mom. I get alot of "oh your husband must make good money" or "you guys are well off". Well no. I make sacrifices every single day to be in the position im in. No cable tv, my husband drives a beat up '85 toyota, i am a couponer like no bodies business. But why explain all of that, if you know deep down in your heart that you are doing EXACTLY what the Lord has put you here to do. Good for you for realizing that these questions dont always need explaining. People will think whatever they want no matter what you tell them. :)

A Little Piece of Me said...

I love this post. I love your job description and I feel the same way as you. Being creative and having your own space to express it... not wanting to work for someone else. When I started blogging on Aug 14, 2011 my view on why I am here and what I want to do with my life just clicked. This is the first time I love what I do. I'm a stay at home mom who just loves blogging, reaching out to others, supporting and encouraging them by sharing my life and experiences with them. I was kind of shocked by it all myself. I am not a writer and if someone told me I would have my own blog, post almost daily... and have followers who are inspired by me and love me for me, I would have said you're crazy! :)

... said...

Ha ha... I love your witty sense of humor! it's refreshing and fun! I am new to the blog world and I am falling in love with it! Currently...I am spending more time on the computer and less time on other things most people think I "should" be doing... but I am becoming passionate about this whole "blogging" thing. I think it's amazing what you do... if others can't "understand" it's their loss! You rock!

Unknown said...

Well said! I love my day job, but blogging full time would be a dream! :) I am new to the blog world and just started following you! Thanks for letting your light shine! I look forward to reading more of your blog! :) xo, Reannah

Heather @ Finding Beauty in the Ordinary said...

I smiled the whole time I read this! I had (or I should say, was blessed) to quit my BORING, corporate 9-5 job that I hated in May for our move here to AZ. I 100% relate to what you've said.... most people do not "get" this blogging thing. That's why other blog readers are such rockstars-- because they "get it." Keep up the good work, girl! You do not need to justify, explain, or feel weird about explaining what you do. None of us do. Love ya girl-- you are amazing!

Unknown said...

As a newbie blogger I am amazed at what a small creative corner in the world wide web can do for the soul... well done Ashley, keep it up sista!

Heather @ we.are.the.holdens said...

You are awesome and doing what you're supposed to. You've tapped into your purpose and so many people spend a lifetime wanting or looking for that. Keep pushing forward. :)

ashley marie wilson said...

this is so good ashley, i do have a full time job and i feel like it gets in the way of what i'm really suppose to be doing. when people ask what i'm suppose to be doing since they can't put a label on it kind of don't get it. i dont know how to describe it either, but its something i love and its something that continues to grow and i am so thankful for the ability to be creative, so ive learned not care because i have a fancy name for what i do during the day, and every morning, while i'm thankful, its not where i want to go or be. keep doing what you're doing, you're changing lives... there's a job description "life changing encourager" ;)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your blog philosophy! I work at a boys & girls club in my town, helping out the kiddos who need it, and your concept is awesome! It is refreshing to see, so thank you! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post Ashley. So gratifying. I loved the way you were so open and honest and I love that you are so happy! Thank you!! I love blogging, it is def. hard to explain but I don't ever try too hard to justify it either. It's something I enjoy and I love and I can see myself really making something out of it that will also impact others positively. Keep going!

xoxo

http://bresbaubles.blogspot.com Hope you'll follow or drop by!

Unknown said...

I think your job is amazing! Seriously, you are doing such a good thing!

When it comes to how I explain blogging.. I just say its my place to write about whatever I want. Not gonna lie, I expect some people to laugh, to not get it... oh well, its what I enjoy doing!

Lauren Nicole said...

your job is something that every girl probably would sell her soul to have! it's amazing and the possibilities are endless.

xo, lauren [let it be.]

Leslie said...

It IS difficult to explain blogging, and it's not even close to what I do for a living. I was trying to explain blogging to a friend and she was like, "Oh ok so it's kind of like xanga?" and I was all, "NOOOO". I think it's so great you get to do this full time!

emily anderson said...

all i say is "i write a blog in my spare time"...and then the conversation usually turns to "when do you have spare time?!" and the blogging question is never revisited. :)

Erin M. said...

Ashley, you are so amazing and do so much for all those you come in contact with - truly an inspiration. Oh, and I love the way you describe your "job".

As a fellow blogger that happens to work full time in HR I used to joke about blogging and say something like "Oh I work in HR and I have a blog, *hehe*, yea it's silly but I like it".

Then one day I realized that I didn't believe that my blog was silly and I was just saying that to protect myself from being too vulnerable because it's one thing if you find and read my blog, but another thing to talk to someone about it that has no idea how wonderful the blogging community is... so after that I started to state proudly "I am a blogger and love it!"

Catie Broscius said...

I have recently started blogging as a post-graduation hobby while starting my full-time career. I LOVE your job description and passion for what you do. Very inspiring !

xoxo

http://www.catiebroscius.blogspot.com

Kristy said...

I LOVE this!!! You described it perfectly!! You are such an inspiration!! LOVE you girl!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!

Unknown said...

I think your description is fine but you could always add "oh, and by the way...I have over 3 thousand people reading every day!"

Anonymous said...

it came across as very offensive when you said you had too great of ideas to work for someone else. some of us have to work for other people because we simply don't have the money to pursue our own interests only. it would be nice if i could only follow my own ideas, but i am a single mother and do not have the means to do so. please be careful with your words. they hurt.

Ashley said...

Lindsey- trust me, I've worked for many, many people. And made it a goal that I would be self employed so I could create the way I wanted to, and not have to answer to someone else. I went out on a huge limb to follow what i have always wanted to do. Nothing about it was supposed to be offensive. And if you've ever read my blog before you'd know I like things to go my way, which is why that statement was sarcastic! :)

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

I too often find myself brushing it off as something fun I do that silly. But at the end of the day I totally love it as well. I guess I should work on not being so embarrassed about it. &why am I embarrassed about it? I am not really sure, maybe because some people have made fun of me for it... but since when did I care what other people thought anyways? haha oh man, as you can see, I need to work on this a bit more as well! hahaha

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! It's so inspiring. Newest follower :)

Abi said...

I totally appreciated this post. Sometimes it's difficult to tell people that I blog, because a lot of people don't understand it.

I have a photography business, which I decided to do full time back in July. It has never been better! I also have more time for blogging, which I love :)

Niki said...

It is so important to love what you do, no matter what that might be. I like your description of your job.
My blog is much small er than yours and is mostly written for my friends and family, but if someone i casually know asks me about it, I explain that my blog is a way to keep people i love informed about my life, a digital scrapbook that captures who and what i am right now and a public diary where i can think out loud.

Contemplating Beauty said...

Hi, nice post! I found you through Casey--
What you said about feeling like you have to justify what you do, it's so true, I think anyone that doesn't work "outside" of the home, which YOU DO, but like you said, not in an office etc.. --people think it's not legit--it's SO frustrating! I know how you feel, because I can't work right now due to illness, and people are constantly asking me, "What do you do for a living?" Anyway--I discovered that even if YOU OR I DID go to an office job everyday, that people would find something ELSE to pick apart, so you do what you are doing--stick to who you are and your truth, and we have to let go of what others think of us, because they will always think something no matter what!