photo 1-1.jpg photo 2-1.jpg photo 1-new.jpg photo 2-wear.jpg photo 3-insp.jpg photo 4-meet.jpg photo 5-contact.jpg photo 6-adv.jpg photo 2-2.jpg photo 3-1.jpg

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Real Emotions.

Guys. This guest post from Jenna Duty gave me chills. She said something that all of us feel at some point, but are probably to insecure to say. Read her story. I promise you will have a different outlook on your day because of it. Thank you Jenna, for being real. I'll be back tomorrow :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey there Shine Project readers!
My name is Jenna Duty and I blog over HERE.
I am 23, a wife to a very hard worker, Curtis, and mama to a beautiful baby girl, Brooklynn.
I am sincerely honored to be posting here today! Ashley is an incredible woman and I am very blessed to be apart of her bangin' blog!
Today I'm going to talk a little about being happy! I hope you enjoy my post!


"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means you've decided to look beyond the imperfections"
-unknown

This is a quote that I try to live by everyday. Because it is 100% true. Life most of the time is not going to be perfect.
But we can still choose to be happy.
And everyone would prefer to be happy rather than sad or upset right?

I used to be a very easy going and happy girl. I had everything I needed. I was at the college I wanted to be at (University of Utah), I had a great group of friends, a great boyfriend,

and I was thin.

I was never cocky but I was happy with the way I looked. Getting ready in the morning was easy because I was happy with the end result. Also, I could eat whatever I wanted, when ever I wanted and would not gain a pound.

It. Was. Awesome.

I then got married and had my perfect sweet baby girl which only made me more happy.

But then I realized I was not losing the weight like I thought I was going to. I started to get really down on myself. I started to feel ugly. I didn't like myself. I never got ready because I felt it was a waste of time. I became a very negative and insecure person. I'm going to show you all the before and after of having a baby. This is really hard for me. I rarely ever put photos of myself on my own blog because I have become so self conscious. But I am learning to be beautiful in my own skin.

So here is a before and after of having my sweet baby girl.


Pretty big difference huh? But you know what?

I have chosen to not be a negative person.
Who cares that I'm not as skinny as I used to be?? If I want to get back to that, I can. I need to work out and eat healthy which is something I should have been doing anyway. I don't have to be a cranky, negative person in the process.

"Happy girls are the prettiest"
-Audrey Hepburn

Having the strength to be a happy person is a beautiful thing. There is so much to be grateful for. It is very easy to blame others for how we feel but only we can truly decide if we want to be happy or not.
So I challenge you to chose to be happy.
I guarantee that if you chose to be happy your happiness will shine onto others causing them to be happy too.
Happiness is contagious.
It's hard to be angry or negative when you are with someone who is happy.
-Here are a few of my tips on how to stay positive-

-compliment others. when you say something nice about someone it will make them smile which in return will make you smile and feel good.
-take 30 minutes a day to do something for you that makes you happy. such as read a book, bake, dance around in your room, sing, anything that makes YOU happy.
-exercise as often as you can. yeah trust me, i know it's hard to get to the gym or pop in a work out video but i know for a fact that you will feel happier if you do.
-be silly. as long as you're in an appropriate situation. i feel that being silly keeps you young.
-focus on today.. not what happened yesterday or what's going on tomorrow, but what you are going to do now. in this moment.
I hope that you all can choose to be happy. You all deserve it!

Come on over to The Duty Family blog and let me know what you do to stay happy.


"Never get discouraged. If I were in the deepest coal pit of Nova Scotia and had the Rocky mountains piled on top of me I would not be discouraged, and I would come out on top."
-J. Smith
----------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, amazing right? You can go follow Jenna HERE!

42 comments:

Sydney said...

so inspirational! What a great way to start off the day! thank you so much for sharing! you look positively radiant in your current pictures :)

Sydney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jordan Rae said...

amen!!! You look awesome and happy girls really ARE the prettiest girls. it's a difficult battle that I'm sure every girl goes through at some point. It's the unspoken expectations that we try to live up to. So why not be happy and not take insecurities to the grave?! :)

Thanks for this post!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! You are beautiful inside and out and never forget that!

brooke field said...

Loved this post. I totally feel the same way when I think back to my skinny high school days, but I just have to remind myself hat this is the size my body wants to be!

Rachel said...

Beautiful you are :)

Rachel said...

Beautiful you are :)

Job and Rachael said...

Thank you for this honest and real post! Being happy and optimistic makes a woman so lovely and you really seem to embody those characteristics. You are your baby girl are both beautiful! :)

This Cookn' Mom said...

You are beautiful. Be proud!

Kate said...

Jenna, I know EXACTLY how you feel, and I admire your courage to post those pictures. You know what? I think you are absolutely more beautiful in the "after" pictures. Sure, it may be a few pounds heavier, however you are absolutely glowing. I can tell you enjoy(LOVE) motherhood. And to me, that is more beautiful than being skinny any day!

I had my daughter 4.5 months ago. I used to be about 100 pounds max. Needless to say, I am NO where close to that now. But you know what, i have an amazing daughter. I will gladly take a different body for that sweet precious girl :)

Keep up the great thinking! You are such an inspiration!

-Kate

(mommakatepala.blogspot.com)

My Life as Whitney said...

Amazing! I know I have felt down on myself about my weight before- it does get discouraging but so what not everone is skinny- so there! :-)

lori said...

i love the honesty in this post. you are beautiful and what a precious little girl!

C.LEE said...

LOVE this! After having 3 kids of my own I can TOTALLY relate. I pick myself apart every.single.day because I don't look the same way I did before having kids. Thank you for sharing.

ashley marie wilson said...

you are beautifl jenna!

xoxo
ashley
www.laluceimagery.blogspot.com

Christina @ The Athletarian said...

What an amazing post! You and your family are beautiful!

Whitney said...

she made me cry... this is JUST what i needed to hear. I'm always soo negative and depressed about my body all of the time. This is just so eye opening. Love you both!

FAB said...

Love this....so true. Happiness is contagious, and life is too short to live in gloom! Happiness is more beautiful on us than any designer outfit or slender body!
Thank you!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love your post! Very touching!

minihousemightyhearts said...

Such a great post!! You are definitely glowing in your "after" picture! It's obvious you love motherhood with that little cutie!!!

Unknown said...

Amen sista! :) Love this post! Thanks for sharing Jenna!! And for being so courageous and lovely with yourself!!

Mama’s Minute said...

Gorgeous, meaningful post! Thank you for having the courage to step out and tell others about how you are happy!! You are certainly even more beautiful because of your attitude! I love the quotes you added!

Miss Amy said...

Jenna, you are seriously beautiful. Don't doubt that for a minute. Your baby, your husband, and now thousands of followers agree! :) Great quotes on happiness.

Caitlin said...

Amazing and so inspirational. I love it.
I have been such a Debbie Downer lately. Just negative and depressed about life in general and this is exactly what I needed to read. Stopping by Jenna's blog right now.

Tammy @ Lemons, Avocados and the Bay said...

Ah so amazing.. you have touched and inspired so many people. Stay positive and motivated, you are beautiful :)

~Tammy
www.bayparkdream.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow this was such an inspirational post, & it is so true !!!! :-)

Sey said...

Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing it!

Jamie W said...

beautifully said. thanks for sharing! :) and you are beautiful!

Stesha said...

this is beautiful!

Heather @ Finding Beauty in the Ordinary said...

What a STUNNING woman, IN AND OUT! XO

Meesh said...

Love this post!! So true! Thank you!

Lisa @ Tales of a Young Housewife said...

She is beautiful! & so is your blog. :)

www.talesofayounghousewife.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Oh. wow. I love.

Alexis Kaye said...

So inspiring! I love your 2nd point Jenna! I decided to put this into action and wrote down 30 things I wanted to do, big or small. Just for me. Every day I do one. I'm working on documenting it on my blog and it's been great so far. It's really important to do!

madilla said...

You are so beautiful in the before and in the after pictures!
Your post has made me thinking a lot! I wanted to write a comment but I wanted to include something more then just words of praise.
I wanted to give you more then that.
Do for you what my sister did for me.

But because I don't KNOW you I wasn't sure if I'm entitled to do that.
But I set my fear aside that you wont like my comment or think who is she to try to help me!

I Gave birth last November. Before I had the same body type as you. I was a tennis teacher and really sporty. But when pregnant I gained weight. And couldn't get rid of as soon as I wanted. Cause I was hungry and at home and the kitchen was to close and the gym to far and time for my own zero...
And I LOVE chocolate!
But I hated that I couldn't cross my legs as before while sitting on a chair.
My biggest problem was that because before I never had to loose weight I didn't now how to do it.

Then my sister gave me two things:
1.A book called "French women don't get fat" by Mireille Guiliano.
And it changed my life!
Its nothing miraculous. Its not a diet.
Check her website out.
http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/

2. Tracey Anderson post pregnancy workout dvd. It truly works wonders. Even if you do it only a couple of times a week you can feel it.

I learned so much during this journey of giving birth, raising a child and living in my body which changed along the way for the better. So when I look in the mirror now I'm so proud of myself, that my body could do all this. Could be so strong.
You are so right that while doing these things you have to let yourself be happy and enjoy life and the LIFE YOU GAVE!

Anonymous said...

LOve your story and strenght..
I had the same loose-weight problem in college..
I used to be 53 kg and then I reached 76kg by the end of the 4th semester..I was very dissapointed but I chose to be happy and satisfied beyond my imperfections as you said!
Now I managed to loose them all..
xxx

Ashley Slater said...

Jenna, this post was wonderful! It makes me happy to know people like you!

.Chrissy said...

Jenna! I know exactly how you feel! I went through the same thing! You are really beautiful though! and so so talented! I love reading about all the projects you are doing on your blog!

Bobbi said...

Your story is so similar to mine. I'm in the middle of losing baby weight after two kids. And I was also way thinner in college. I posted my before and after pictures on our family blog, too, which was very difficult. Keep your head up and remember you are still SO beautiful...actually even MORE beautiful now that you're a mother!

{Bobbi}
http://fashionunder30.blogspot.com/

Holly said...

I love her!!! This is such a great story and I'm so glad she shared it :)

Allison said...

This is such a great story, said so well!!! Everyone has their struggles, we just have to try and keep our little chins up =)

PS: Stopping by from LMM!

JW | PEONY said...

wow. go her! so many valid points!

Ashleigh said...

such a wonderful post by Jenna-- i can totally relate. our bodies will never be the same, but our babies make it worth it!